Thursday, August 16, 2007

Why so sad?

It's over, it's official, at our house summer is officially over. Today I put an anxious first grader on the bus across the street. She smiled and lit to the steps of the awaiting bus. As they drove off I saw two little fingers above the heads of a full bus waving back at me. I ducked into the house as silent tears slid down my cheeks. I can't believe I have a first grader. Why does this year touch me so? Last year I had no problems, in fact, I was excited, and joyful. Why this year?

Summer is over. That is mournful in and of itself. I am excited to start a new year and see all that she has to learn. But summer is over. No more summertime mommy, now it is time for teacher mommy. Perhaps I will write a poem for my change of hats, or I'll just go spend the day with my youngest daughter while she awaits preschool.

We will wait, on guard for the return of the big yellow bus. Our hearts and minds full of questions. How was your day? Did you like your teacher? Were there any friends from last year? How was the bus ride? What did you think of having lunch at school? She will smile and indulge regarding her day so filled with the excitement of all things new.

ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more

4 comments:

Vivian Mahoney said...

Hope your little one enjoyed her first day of school. We have three more weeks until school over here...

Jen Barney said...

I was thinking about you yesterday.... hope all went the best for S.- Take care & you'll have to help me on Monday with M.

Stateline Raceway said...

At least your hubbie didn't have to follow her around and take a million pictures like my lovely, non-hostile wife wants me to do. The boy will be blind from the flashes before he steps foot into the classroom. I have a poll on my blog, come on over and vote ladies.

Katie Dicesare said...

I am so anticipating the feelings you've had. I know I will silently cry as my second and first grader are off to school. Is it just because each school year takes away a little bit of that childhood innocence I desperately want them to hold onto?