Thursday, August 2, 2007

A Back to School Book


Each year I do Teacher in A Bag. This is an activity where I gather 10 things about myself to share with my students on the first day. I do this so that they can get to know me better and it makes me seem like just a normal person. I pull things out of my bag, like pictures of my children, my walking shoes, my favorite music, markers ('cause I'm artsy!), some pictures of the outdoors, goggles for swimming, and usually a shell of some kind to talk about the beach.

I've mentioned before that I love the beach. It is an obsession of mine. This year I found the perfect book to start the year off with, The Berenstain Bears Go On Vacation.
We got this book from the library on Tuesday and I have read it every day since. They love it! Who doesn't love the Berenstain Bears? (My aunt says that all her children's moral lessons came from the Berenstain Bears). I will use this book to introduce myself. It follows our vacation to the beach so closely. My girls and I found so many parallels. I also want my students from the beginning to know how much I love books. Why not read a book about something that you love? This will be my first read aloud to my students. I hope they love it too!
How about a book to introduce yourself?

4 comments:

Stacey Shubitz said...

This is nice. :-)

Sarah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sarah said...

I can't wait to pick a book. Your "teacher in a bag" idea is great. Do you ask your children to do this too? I'm thinking when a child is student of the week, it might be great activity.

Jone said...

I love to read The Library Dragon, Library Lil' to introduce myself. I love the "teacher in a bag". Very cool.