Monday, August 20, 2007

The First Day

Well, today was today, the first day. I awoke several times last night, lightly sleeping through the night, my body full of nerves. I kissed my husband goodbye and headed for the school. Today it rained, not just a low drizzle, but buckets and buckets of water. Yeah, first day of school, no recess, 25 first graders, looonnnggg day!
It went really well, actually, we discussed procedures, we read our promise, we read Oliver Button Is a Sissy. I introduced myself with the Berenstain Bears Go On Vacation. I showed them my shark tooth. We introduced one another and played number line squeeze. We are building a community. This is where I belong.
The first day is always the hardest, I always end up tired and pulled in a million different directions. Today feels different, I didn't get pulled in different directions, I took the time today and built my community. It was a different experience, and I think the kids and I felt comfortable.
I am ready to go back tomorrow, I am excited to go! It is all coming together and I am just watching it build.

1 comment:

Stacey Shubitz said...

Yea for you! I start in two weeks (but ended so late!) Congrats!