Wednesday, August 22, 2007

It's Only Wednesday.

You thought I would be complaining about how the first week is always the worst and how I think that the week just drags. Wrong! I am not going to write about that! I was just thinking, it is only Wednesday and I am amazed at how the children are doing!
First, let's start with lunch. We have moved to 10 minute intervals for lunch. Every 10 minutes a new group of students moves into the lunchroom and an old group moves out. Sounds crazy doesn't it, guess what, it is! We have Kindergarteners that are very unhappy about lunch (we have full day Kindergarten, four sections). However, it is only Wednesday. We have to keep doing what we do positively and they will eventually fall into that procedure. It is only Wednesday, we can't expect the children to just "know" what to do. They are children, they have yet to experience the 10 minute lunch interval. I am 33 and experiencing it for the first time! It is only Wednesday folks.
Second, I have had three days of school and two days of writer's and reader's Workshop. I have learned so much already. I am so amazed what the conferencing is revealing to me with the reading. I am also saddened about not being able to share today. Yes, that's right, the person who hates the sharing part of writer's workshop just said she's sad because it didn't happen today. We just couldn't fit it into our schedule. I am sad about that! (Shocked I tell ya, just shocked!) I also am following a scope and sequence, however, today at the end of reader's workshop I noticed that kids were not sticking to one book from the basket. I quickly jotted a note for tomorrow's mini lesson. That is what we will talk about tomorrow. And... it's only Wednesday!
I walk around looking at people who look completely frazzled by the fact that today is only Wednesday. But, my other workshop havin' teacher friends, we have smiles on our faces. We look at ease! Could it be we're letting the kids do all the work and we are refreshed by that? And... it's only Wednesday!

3 comments:

Jen Barney said...

Hot Poo- It's only Wednesday & my treasures are making personal connections!!! HOT DIGGY DOG!

Vivian Mahoney said...

Glad you're enjoying the teaching.

Sarah said...

I am so jealous. The waiting to start is killing me. We are not starting until Sept 5. I look around the room and wait for the little bodies.