Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Ready, Set, Go!

ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more
So, I am ready. As ready as I will be. I have visited and revisited my classroom throughout the summer and gotten my room "ready." I have chosen my touchstone text, I have copied August's homework packet, and I have organized my books.


Room 127 is your typical rectangular space. It is extra warm because this is where the pipes are housed. (daily average, 75-78 degrees) It has no carpeting, it is an institutional eggshell, and the cabinets are peeling laminate. I have tried to make this space a community. I have purchased 5 lamps, a couple vases of fake flowers, and some decorative place mats. I have had bookshelves built so that they border my community area so that when we meet together it feels cozy. I am ready for student to arrive.

This year feels different. I feel like I have owned my space, like I have made it my own, and I am excited to share it with little people. I had to just be in my space for a while. I had to sit and think about its potential. Mulling it over in my mind before bed, while waiting at the park, and driving in the car I have strategically placed each item. I am ready for the go.


I just hope that my students feel as comfortable as I do in this space.


Why do you think the environment is so important? That is a good question. I think it has to do with building the community, but it goes beyond that. They say (I'm not sure who or the validity of the statement) learning coincides with emotion. I hope that my room 127 creates an emotional tie that induces learning.


What steps have you made to create your learning space? How is environment helping your community?

5 comments:

Jen Barney said...

Sarah- Your room is fantabulous! If M. were at Haley, your room would be the one that I would insist that he be in... It is comforting when I walk in (despite the hellish heat).

I think that creating a room that is loving and warm allows students to feel comfortable and free in a space that is almost their home for a year... It makes it a home away from home.

Sarah Amick said...

I have to admit that I wish that M. could've been with me, but... What can I say, I love your children. I am always so glad to see their faces pop into my door. I would've welcomed him with open arms, "butt nugget" and all!

Amy @ Literacy Launchpad said...

Your room looks great! I want dig through your book baskets!

As a traveling teacher I don't have my own classroom environment. Anything I use to create my "classroom" has to conveniently travel with me. This is very limiting. So I envy you in this respect!

Sarah said...

Sarah-

I also feel like I am very close to being ready. I have been spending all week in the room. I will post some pics on my site if you're interested. I liked seeing your sacred spaces. They look ready for little bodies and minds.

I also read your post about putting your first grader on the bus. I know what you are feeling going from summer mommy to teacher mommy.

Stacey Shubitz said...

Looks cozy!