Sunday, August 5, 2007

Amick's Blog Thoughts


I found this post at Unabridged Opinions. The writer writes a meme each Thursday that contains Thirteen of something. This Thursday (way back in December) Thirteen has a list of reasons why it is good for teachers to blog. My favorites are:


"2. Teaching can be a lonely profession; it's nice to have another place to find a group of adults that understand what your workday is like!

6. Somewhere, someone knows the answer to all of your questions--or at least a good place to start looking.

9. Reminders that students will be students--no matter where in the world they are located."


#2- blogging teachers don't seem to be the kinds of teachers that are not dedicated. They seem to be blogging to gain information, be reflective about their teaching, and even practice their writing skills. They are not here purely for griping, this teacher community is too positive for that to happen.

#6. I have said to a first grader, "I don't know, let's look that up and find the answer." We cannot know everything, it isn't possible. We can however, coexist in a community that spans many age groups, ethnic identities, and various life experiences. We tap into those different people when we blog. That is so cool!!!!

#9. I have traveled to three different countries in my lifetime. (Mexico, Canada, and England) I find it so amazing that blogging makes the world seem smaller. Even bloggers from different parts of the U.S. seem to have the same troubles regarding public education. We all want to see our students achieve, that's why we are teachers. We experience heartbreak when they don't. That is worldwide. Isn't nice to know that you can tap into that community to ask, "what can I do to be a better teacher for my students' sakes?"



That's right folks we could all meet in the same room face to face and discuss this stuff! There is a link that signs you up and everything. It may be a great way for Jen and I to take a road trip. We have had several during our friendship and they are always so eventful. Imagine a mini-van loaded down with Twizzlers, Coffee (don't feed Jen caffeine and then go on a long car ride), Vera Bradley bags stuffed with books, and two "natural" redheads shouting, "Go loser Cruiser go!" It sounds like a ton of fun. Perhaps we can invite our other two cohorts, Kathy and Kirsten?





2 comments:

Jennie said...

Hey, thanks for linking to my post! (I still find it incredible odd that anyone reads what I write--so I get irrationally pleased when anyone does :) )I also love how blogging has expanded my teaching world--the energy and dedication that teachers bring to their job is amazing and awe inspiring. It's an great community to be a part of.

Jen Barney said...

Hey! I am game.... and yes, no caf. for me please!