Monday, September 3, 2007

Sarah Says, and So Do I!

Sarah from Sarah Says, left this definition from Wikipedia:
Positive Mental Attitude (PMA): The philosophy of having a positive mental attitude is the belief that one can increase achievement through optimistic thought processes. Having a vision of good natured change in the mind. -Wikipedia
She then goes on to ask these questions:
"So, what do you think about PMA? Does it work for you? How does it impact your teaching and/or classroom?"
A while back Ruth challenged me to think of a word that I could coin for myself and I said: optimism. After reading this definition from Sarah I was shaking my head because this is what I believe. I have to admit that my hope, whether I am sitting down with a student, a colleague, a parent, etc. is that I am having PMA.
Teaching first grade can be very tiring, and taxing, especially the first couple of weeks. Even during the school year I always try to establish good behavior by praising the good behavior around me. It goes a lot like this: "Boy, I sure do like the way that Jack is standing quietly in line!" I praise and then the rest of the children fall into line. It's positive and I feel less stressed when I notice the positives. Amazing what a positive mental outlook can bring to your day.
I think PMA does work for me and I think that it is catching. Think about people that you come in contact with, when they are negative you either conform to their negativity or you don't spend much time with them. When you are with someone who is positive you tend to stay longer than you would have, walk away with a smile, and good things are accomplished.
I challenge you to think about your Positive Mental Attitude. Does it work for you? How does it affect your teaching and/or classroom? If you don't have a PMA then what can you do to work towards a better one? What changes can you make?
Think about the potential in that definition, especially the phrase, "one can increase achievement through optimistic thought processes." Imagine...

2 comments:

Cathy said...

I have to say thank you for leaving a comment...it sures helps knowing that someone out there is reading my blog. Hope things are going well for you!!! BTW, how long are your kids in their reading partnerships? Is it just to read or is to talk about their reading and thinking?

Unknown said...

Wow! It's awesome to know others are reading blogs out there. Not because I need it, but because I realize I'm not just writing for myself! :)

However, I love what you said about PMA. The thing is, I have great PMA when it comes to kids. Seriously... the rose colored glasses never come off. But when I deal with adults who don't meet my expectations or who can become difficult, well... So, that's where I need a PMA boost.

I was so inspired by your PMA! Keep it up! :)