Tuesday, September 11, 2007

A Poem for 9-11

We can all remember when we found out what happened that day. We can recount the thoughts that raced through our minds. It was a pivotal moment in American history. We had a choice, to rise up or let the evil ones succeed. Today, as I walked through my neighborhood with flags hung half-mast I thought of this poem:
ImageChef.com - Custom comment codes for MySpace, Hi5, Friendster and more


A Poem For 9-11
by Sarah Amick
A flag half-mast
moments of silence...
long lists of names read in memoriam
flowers laid on places of rest
words spoken reverently;
This is how we remember 9-11
My head held high
Raising my kids in the land of the free
Crossing my heart and singing-
our nation's anthem,
Attending parades and standing in honor,
as our flag passes by;
This is how we honor America and those lost on 9-11
Drive to work each morning,
love others as we would desire to be loved
worship a God of our choice
Be who we want to be
Rebuild and protect
Enjoy freedom, and all its amenities
Hold your head high
This is how we prove our resiliency
to those who caused 9-11...
We Live, so we never forget
I tried not to allow the sad thoughts to creep through today, that would be giving them what they want. Instead, for those that were lost, we need to live, and not let a day pass idly by...

2 comments:

Ruth Ayres said...

Sarah --
I'm continued to be awed by your poetry. You have a gift and I'm glad you're willing to share it with me (& your other blog readers).
Ruth

Vivian Mahoney said...

Thank you. We will never forget.