Friday, September 7, 2007

A Poem for Working Mothers

I wrote a poem for the summer entitled "Summertime Mommy." You can read it here. Well, a start of a new year has inspired a new kind of mommy. I love being a mommy, but we all know the guilt, responsibility, the heart strings that encompass that role. It is truly not understood until one has children of their own. So, here is "Working Mommy."

Working Mommy
by Sarah Amick
Feels the guilt as she's driving away
Her thoughts are divided:
One listens attentively to the business at hand;
The other wanders to where she left her heart.
She values small qualitative moments
while juggling the motion of her world
Her hands are never idle.
This mommy organizes every minute of her day
never a down time, her world is always
time on task- always motion
Her heart is always drawn between
her dreams, goals, and responsibilities
The world of self, and selfless
She is always the last on her agenda
Always putting herself to the bottom
She is needed
Her list is full
She will make herself matter...
Tomorrow

6 comments:

Jen Barney said...

Ahhh....excellent one!

Amy @ Literacy Launchpad said...

I wish I had bought my niece that very cool t-shirt, but her mom (my sister) bought it for her.

Here's the link to where you can buy it, in case you want to check it out:
http://www.buyolympia.com/q/Item=futurelibrarian

Katie Dicesare said...

Wow...my heart feels that same divide. I began to cry as I read your words. I think September is especially hard as we are forced back into routines (away from our own children) and do the work of both teacher and parent inside the classroom (at least I feel that with some of my kiddos). Always love to read your poems.

Ruth Ayres said...

sarah -- i needed this one. thank you.

Kathy Douglas said...

You never ceasse to amaze me. You hit it right on the head for so many women...not just teachers. In this world we live in, it is so hard to leave our babies. We just have to hope they have people like you to love them when we aren't there to do it. Thanks for writing this for ALL the working moms out there!

Ida B. Seriously said...

I am posting this on my blog!!
My blog is called A little bit of chaos A lot of love if you ever want to read it. I am a teacher too!