Thursday, July 19, 2007

Poetry Friday

I have decided my favorite place in the world is the ocean. Just recently while researching poetry to use in my classroom throughout the year I discovered that I am drawn to poems about the sea. What a wonder the ocean brings!





Sea Joy


by Jacqueline Bouvier

When I go down by the sandy shore
I can think of nothing I want more
Than to live by the booming blue sea
As the seagulls flutter round about me

I can run about- when the tide is out
With the wind and the sand and the sea all about
And the seagulls are swirling and diving for fish
Oh- to live by the sea is my only wish.

Here is one my daughters enjoyed just this afternoon. It reminded them of our recent trip!


Maggie And Milly And Molly And May

maggie and milly and molly and may
went down to the beach(to play one day)

and maggie discovered a shell that sang
so sweetly she couldn't remember her troubles, and

milly befriended a stranded star
whose rays five languid fingers were;

and molly was chased by a horrible thing
which raced sideways while blowing bubbles: and

may came home with a smooth round stone
as small as a world and as large as alone.

For whatever we lose (like a you or a me)
it's always ourselves we find in the sea
-e.e. cummings
(Please know that I am not illiterate and know that words that are proper nouns need to be capitalized but this is how they appeared in print and I liked it that way. I can do it this way, it's my blog. Some folks are very peculiar- I mean particular about these things!)

1 comment:

Jen Barney said...

I like it two... hehehehe