Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Here's to the memories....

As you go about this next week, be conscious of activities that bring up memories. Grab a notebook or set up a file on your computer and start jotting them down. Go a bit deeper to capture those moments that linger on the fringe of your memories. Maybe you will remember parts of yourself that you had lost connection with, or pieces of your heart that are willing to stand up and have their story told.
by Ali Edwards
I must have skimmed by this quote on Ruth's post (http://inspiringreaderswriters.blogspot.com) the first time. How powerful is the phrase, "pieces of your heart that are willing to stand up and have their story told." Sometimes we must grow in ourselves before that story is ready to be told.
Today a memory of my current first graders was burned into my heart. I will bring it back to my mind when I see them for years to come. It was a really simple moment, not really academic, even.
We went to recess at the end of the day. I have an incredible assistant who has grown children and she is very engaging. Let's face it, sometimes I'm jealous with the admiration my children show for her! Anyway, typical recess and I say, "do you all know London Bridges?" This is two-three students just standing around. So we start an oldie but goodie, before I know it my entire class, even the boys (I'll be sure to mention then when they bring their girlfriends to school to introduce them to me) are participating. We are laughing, the sun is shining, and there is nothing but pure joy on the faces of everyone. Pure joy, when was the last time you felt pure joy?
This is a memory, one that I will be able to call forth, one that my students will remember and hopefully cherish.

No comments: