Sunday, January 20, 2008

Oh, my word...

So I have TIVO here at the house and was going through the guide and found a k-2 Workshop training show. Please, I have no idea who it was or where, or when, not even why? I just hit record. I sat and watched the program one night when I didn't have anything better to do and really hit upon some great information.
One thing that really stood out to me was this one statement that she made(again, don't know she was?): She mentions that in a workshop setting, during a mini lesson teachers are teaching a skill, strategy, procedure, some form of information for the student. Teachers don't teach motivation in that mini lesson. The procedures and routines that are run within our classrooms are the motivation. That is why it is so necessary for students to be able to find materials, books, tools, and anchor charts so easily. Our placement of things has consequential effects upon our students. It can either provide more time for reading and writing or take away time for reading and writing. Effective teachers ask, what needs to be display and where will it be most effectively displayed?
It made me ponder these questions:
Are my materials and tools where they need to be?
Are my kids wasting time looking for all that they need?
How can I utilize my space better?
Is my word wall, anchor charts, books, etc. at a place where students can use them readily?
Are my procedures and routines creating a motivation for students to want to read more or write more? Is my environment motivational?

3 comments:

Mrs. Johnson said...

Sounds like it was a good show! This is a good time to re-evaluate those things because it seems like a time that we have to review routines in the classroom.

Kathy Douglas said...

That is so key. It seems so obvious, but it really isn't. I used to have a place where kiddos could go to get tape, paper, stapler, markers...whatever they needed to work on their writing. It made it easy for them and they didn't need me! Let's talk about all this when I see you TOMORROW! Can't wait to get back to Haley!

Susan Nations said...

Wow...sounds like a great workshop.

You ask some critical questions here.