Wednesday, January 9, 2008

My One Little Word for 2008

Last week I posted this quote from Tony Dungy's book, Quiet Strength:

The first step toward creating an improved future is developing the ability to envision it. VISION will ignite the fire of passion that fuels our commitment to do WHATEVER IT TAKES to achieve excellence. Only VISION allows us to transform dreams of greatness into the reality of achievement through human action. VISION has no boundaries and knows no limits. Our VISION is what we become in life.
-Tony Dungy

My word for 2008 is: Vision.
I have pondered the word and this is what I think:
1. Vision takes careful planning. Things become intentional when you plan them. You must have future goals, aspirations, dreams in mind when you plan. It takes vision to foresee them and then plan the steps to accomplish them. That is intentional planning.
2. If you are a visionary then you are open to, conscious of, and optimistic about change. You keep yourself abreast with the newest and latest trends, ideas, and gimics that could either hinder or enhance your vision. A visionary is open to change.
3. Others see you as someone that is willing to listen, challenge, add to their own ideas. You become a sounding board for great or bad ideas from others. Because of your vision people look to you for guidance. You foster a sense of their own vision.

Who benefits from my word vision? How will this change my profession, home, and personal relationships?
-I will be more intentional about my time with students, parents, family, friends, etc. which will give back to them quality time vs. quantity time. It will help me prioritize what is the most important things that I need to relay to those closest to me?
- I will feel in control of situations because I am intentional. Planning, organizing, and making priorities will help me set my vision into action.
-I will learn how to better say no to people, and situations that I don't see as part of my vision. This will be hard at first but, again, it will be intentional.

So, I leave you with this picture, someone from the outlaw side of my family. Gosh, I love my new camera!


2 comments:

Ingrid said...

O.k., so, you rock and stuff...when are you going to become a principal? We need visionaries (maybe even ones who aren't too lazy to get up and look up whether they spelled visionaries right, heh heh). We need to share the vision of our classrooms with one another, too. You and the clan with which you're working need to help build capacity, which I know you are, but I'm selfish and want you leading a building. So think about that for when you're getting all the impact you can, think about how you can get more... keep on truckin'
By the way, I'd like to borrow your copy of 3 cups of tea. I guess that means we better plan a pow wow. :)

Stacey Shubitz said...

This is a great word to have!