Friday, October 26, 2007

A Surprise Package



About a month ago I got an email from Rebecca Kai Dotlich she is an Indiana author and poet. She had found me through a google search and had been reading my blog. She was so inspired by my words that she checked out the Adopt A Classroom link on my blog to see what I needed! Lucky me, she asked if if would be okay to send me some signed books that she had written.


Well, today I walked to my mailbox at school and was surprised to find a package for myself. Inside were four of the most beautiful books. Inside she had signed and left a very personal message. Thanks Rebecca!

Here are just a few things that I thought about:
1. It is nice to be thanked by someone. We have thankless jobs at times, especially since No Child Left Behind. It seems that since that has been signed into office that we are questioning our teachers, not thanking them. And, sometimes my job can be viewed as babysitting. I teach children to read, a skill they need for a lifetime, it is very far from babysitting.

2. My words matter. After reading my words she was inspired to give. My words matter. My words matter. My words matter. What a great lesson in writer's identity, for me and my students. I can't wait to share this with them.

Rebecca makes personal author visits to schools, she also does some workshop type things with kids in helping them to write their own poetry. If you are interested in author visits she would be worth checking into for your school. Please send some business her way! (Just use the link above!)


3 comments:

Jen Barney said...

isn't it wonderful! My treasures were so excited and then they saw that she had written a message, they went nuts! thanks Rebecca, you made twenty two little faces smile all day.

Katie Dicesare said...

Wow, so nice to be appreciated! I love that you will take this back to your kids. I also felt that YOUR WORDS MATTER in your reflection! What a good day!

Mimi said...

How wonderful!! I will definitely check out those books. You deserve it!