Monday, November 3, 2008

Visualizing

We launched visualizing today in our classroom. I started by having the students take a large piece of newsprint paper and folding it into fourths. I then played for them 4 sounds:
1. A horse's neigh
2. crickets
3. fireworks
4. a crowd cheering at an event

My students were to draw connections that they made with the sounds, images that popped into their heads as they listened. Each sound was short, even played several times, but colored pencils were working themselves into a frenzy. When the sounds were finished, we gathered together on the rug and shared our picures with a partner. We discussed what each sound brought forth into our minds, the discussion was amazing. What we really discovered was how different our schema is, we have all been to some amazing places in our lives. Images are everywhere!
Tomorrow, When I was Young in the Mountains by Cynthia Rylant. I am going to read it and reference my images as I read, modeling the appropriate language. Already though, I can see the creative images flowing.

3 comments:

Mrs. G said...

I have a question for you. When you introduce a new reading strategy, how long do you focus on it before moving to the next one? Do you focus on one at a time?

Kathy Douglas said...

So fun being in your room today. Loved the way they took the little quote and made it their own. Had a great time talking to "my girls". Thanks for sharing them!

Cathy said...

Is this a strategy for reading or getting ready for a writing unit? Is this involved with your reading series or the supplemental part for the comprehension strategies? Thanks darling!!!