Sunday, June 22, 2008

The face of Joy...

Yesterday I awoke with soreness in my biceps and an achy upper back...
Friday, was the last session for swim lessons, I teach the toddler and preschool classes at the local pool. Friday was the family swim, this is where toddlers and preschoolers have the chance to zing themselves with an adult or by themselves down the slide. This is why my back is sore and my biceps are screaming out in pain! I was the "catcher!" I caught all the littlest swimmers as they went down the slide. I have had approximately 49 students this session, times their 10 times down the slide! Yep, I caught roughly 490 times! OUCH...
My husband summed it up best, not a writer, he put it into words that perfectly matched the moment. He said, "yea, you may be sore but you witnessed the purest childhood joy! Little people doing something in the "big" world, that' joy!"
It made the soreness so worth it. As I turned around at one point I saw about 12 parents standing by the slide, they had video cameras, cell phone cameras, and digitals pointed in my direction! Ah, but I caught the faces first, hiding them in my mind's memory.
The face of joy...

2 comments:

Lola said...

Hello Sarah,

I'm not really responding to this posting. I have a request of sorts.
A writer friend of mine referred your blog to me months ago. Off and on I've read your passionate entries about your students and teaching. I'm so impressed with your dedication and spirit. I am originally from Ft. Wayne. In fact my husband and I just recently moved to the mountains of North Georgia. I am a published writer of more than 200 books for teachers and children. I am currently working on a manuscript where I'm going to highlight 12-15 great teachers across the US. I would like to speak with you about arranging an interview for the book if you're interested. Please visit my webpage: www.lolaschaefer.com and then contact me through that site if I may call you this week or next.
Thank you so much.

Kathy Douglas said...

Sarah,
Lola is a friend of mine. She is awesome. She is even a closer friend with Connie, our math facilitator. What an honor for you to be included in her group of teachers. Go for it girl!!! Tell her I said HEY!