Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Question #3 How will knowing your prior reading experiences help you in your classroom?

Note all the good times were time when I was read to, or I read independently. My independent reading, I chose the book. My favorite read alouds were appropriate and high interest.
I also noticed places where we talked about the reading. I got to make connections, ask questions, and sythesize. Also, it gave my teachers and my mother a chance to recommend books that I would make a connection.
So here are my conclusions:
1. Read alouds are important- they must be high interest and developmentally appropriate. They must also be purposeful, why am I reading this book to my first grade class? What would I like them to glean from this book?
2. Children must be allowed to choose their own books for independent reading.
3. Children must have independent reading time to practice what they are learning.
4. Children must have a time to talk, discuss, ask questions, ponder out loud, talk, discuss, be social, etc. It is important for comprehension and growth.
5. Children must have a future reading plan. I used to think, "WHAT?" their first graders, their 6/7? Looking back over my experiences I noted that my mother helped me make future plans. She noted that I enjoyed Laura Ingalls Wilder books, she went out and bought me Jeanette Okes' Unending Legacy series. Very similiar texts. My 10th grade teacher noted that I enjoyed John Steinbeck and introduced me to Lewis Sinclair. How did they know this? Read number 4!

Have you taken the challenge yet? Be reflective.

No comments: